Tuesday, August 22, 2017

From July 2016

A few weeks ago, I get a phone call from Lisa. She says, “I hope I make it to the gas station before I run out of gas. Which one is the closest to our house?” People use that phrase “I hope” a lot. “I hope I get married.” “I hope your mom beats cancer.” “I hope that I can come over this week.” “I hope I get the job.” Some hopes come true; others don’t.

Before starting our ministry in Kenya, I often wondered what life would be like without hope. I mean I grew up in a country where every little boy or girl really believes that they could be President someday. In Kenya there are many who live without hope and I believe we need hope to live. Hope for a better future is what drives us to survive…to keep moving…to seek healing…to face a new day.
The human race has tried to find contention in false hopes like money, a bigger house, education, friends, sexual relationships, and fame. But the truth is that none of these things will last and are unable to bring meaning, purpose and joy into a life. 2 Peter 3 verse 11 tells us that “…everything will be destroyed in this way [fire]…” In light of this thought, Peter asks “…what kind of people ought you to be?” Then he gives the answer “You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of the God and speed its coming.”

In Kenya, we are trying to give hope and show the love of God daily.  In the last two months, we have had several community outreaches.  The last one was great. We were able to give over 200 families a food bundle that would last them for up to three weeks. It was great to see the joy on people’s faces as they received their gift of good but also the great gift of hearing the Gospel.  Why do we give away water free? Why do we have a school? Why do we offer medical clinics? Why do we present goats to school children? Why do we visit the local witchdoctor? Why do we hold pastors’ conference? Why? So that some may find the wisdom of God.

Proverbs 24:14: 14 So shall the knowledge of wisdom be to your soul; If you have found it, there is a prospect, and your hope will not be cut off.

Wisdom brings hope. Christ died and defeated the power of death. Christ arose because the grave could not hold him. What Jesus began he will conclude. Jesus is coming again and we need to let people know so that they will not miss it.


Since we know that our hopes and dreams are safe with God, let’s help to promote a world where purity and righteousness lives, where the love of God reigns, where we strive for peace and justice for all. In doing so, we can live in contentment and joy as we work together to see people come to salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment